Attorneys and others seeking information on substance abuse, addiction, treatment options, treatment facilities and related information will benefit from the following active links. If a link is no longer active, please contact me so I can make appropriate updates.
I. CALIFORNIA STATE BAR & RELATED RECOVERY RESOURCES
- Lawyers Assistance Program (LAP) The LAP offers confidential help to attorneys seeking substance abuse, mental health or other career assistance. Call 877-LAP-4HELP (877-527-4435) or email at: LAP@calbar.ca.gov.
- Alternative Discipline Program (ADP) The ADP provides an alternative to attorneys in the facing discipline at the State Bar Level for substance abuse or mental health issues.
- The Other Bar The Other Bar Offers peer to peer support & information to attorneys in recovery & those still struggling. The Other Bar maintains a statewide meeting calendar & 24-Hour Toll-Free Help Line: 1-800-222-0767
II. AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION (ABA) SELF-HELP PROGRAM LINKS
- ABA Commission on LAPS The ABA’s Commission on LAP’s provides extensive information and links to regional resources specific to Attorneys seeking mental and behavioral health assistance.
- ABA Directory of LAPs The ABA’s state by state directory of Lawyers Assistance Programs allows practitioners and others to access assistance programs for attorneys in a specific jurisdiction.
- ABA Compilation of National Resource Links The ABA’s national resource page provides a comprehensive list of active links to information relating to chemical and process addictions, mental health, suicide prevention and related sites.
III. TREATMENT FACILITIES AND LOCATORS
- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator (SAMHSA): This excellent on-line information source allows you to enter a zip code & locate substance abuse and mental health treatment centers anywhere in the United States.
- SAMHSA’s National Help Line: This helpline provides 24 hour no cost, completely confidential treatment referrals and information about mental and substance abuse disorders, prevention, treatment and recovery in Spanish and English. 1-800-662-HELP (4357) TTY: 1-800-487-4889.
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: This 24 hour, toll free hotline provides confidential suicide prevention support to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Your call is routed to the nearest crisis center in a national network of more than 150 crisis centers. 1-800-273-TALK (8255); TTY: 1-800-799-4889.
- Opiate Treatment Directory This site resource allows you to identify and locate medication-assisted treatment programs, family and provider support resources and other support networks in your state that treat opiate dependence and addiction.
- CRC Health Group This comprehensive network of specialized behavioral health care affiliates provides “healing and hope” to patients & families across the United States. Access their library to learn more about addiction and treatment.
- Hazelden-Betty Ford Addiction Treatment Center A household name in the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction disorders throughout the country, this provider has a specialized program for attorney, judges and other professionals dealing with substance use and addiction issues.
IV. MISCELLANEOUS ONLINE RECOVERY RESOURCES
- Smart Recovery Self-Management & Recovery Training Smart Recovery is a science based, non-12-step program emphasizing self empowerment as a means to recovering from addictive substances and behaviors.
- Alcoholics Anonymous “A.A.” is “an international fellowship of men and women who have had a drinking problem. It is nonprofessional, self-supporting, multiracial, apolitical, and available almost everywhere.” This link will take you to AA’s official website where you can learn more about the 12-step program.
- Narcotics Anonymous “N.A.” is a global, community-based organization helping those recovering from the effects of addiction by working a twelve-step program similar to the program of recovery offered by AA. This link will take you to NA’s official website where you can learn more about the program.